The University of Cologne offers a wide range of scientific disciplines and internationally leading profile areas organized in six faculties. At the Faculty of Medicine 1.800 scientists are engaged in research, ranging from basic sciences to clinical application, as well as teaching and health care. Together with the University Hospital Cologne the faculty maintains 58 clinics, research institutes and centres. 3.400 students study in this dynamic and innovative environment. The Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital Cologne are embedded in the scientifically highly active Rhine region. They have strong contacts to and alliances with the surrounding universities and non-university research institutions guaranteeing scientific excellence in research and teaching.
The Alcazar laboratory for Experimental Pulmonology at the University Children’s Hospital Cologne is seeking applications for a full-time
Based on a third-party funding by the Boehringer Ingelheim Stiftung the contract is limited for one year.
A postdoctoral position is open in the Alcazar laboratory “Experimental Pulmonology” at the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University of Cologne, Germany (starting 1st October 2018), to study the impact of metabolic disorder on lung ageing processes and on molecular mechanisms of late lung development. The main objective of the project is to investigate ageing processes and DNA damage response in the developing lung. A variety of techniques will be applied to address our scientific goal: animal models using transgenic mice, lung function testing, protein and gene analyses, histology and immunhistochemistry, primary cell isolation, cell culture studies, and cell function assays.
Your responsibilities will include:
- The postdoctoral fellow will be responsible for genetic modified mice strain (Cre-Lox System)
- Design and conductance of animal studies; isolation of primary lung cells
- Cell culture studies to knockdown or overexpress target molecules, assessment of cell homeostasis, immunocytochemistry, dual immunofluorescence staining and imaging using confocal microscopy
- Establishment of new techniques, e.g. comet assay, co-culture studies
- Lung immunostaining, immunoblot, and gene expression
- Supervision of medical students and/or Ph.D. students
- Participation in seminars and lectures
- Degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in life sciences (e.g. medicine, biology)
- Experience in animal handling and experimental design of genetic modified mice (Cre-Lox)
- Experience in cell culture studies and isolation of primary cells
- Previous knowledge in studies focusing on lung biology and/or DNA damage response is considered a plus
- Creative and enthusiastic individual with a passion for basic biomedical research
- Team player
- Young and highly motivated team of lung scientists.
- Chance to be involved in the Center of Molecular Medicine Cologne (CMMC), a unique interdisciplinary center of the faculty of medicine and the faculty of mathematics and natural sciences
- Close collaboration with the Cluster of excellence for Cellular Stress Responses in Aging-Associated Diseases (CECAD)
- Postdoctoral seminars and career development programs by the University of Cologne
Your salary will be based on TV-L.
Applications from female candidates are welcome; suitably qualified women will be given preferential consideration.
We also welcome applications from disabled candidates, who will also be given preferential consideration over other applicants with comparable qualifications.
Please address telephone enquiries to Jun.-Prof. Dr. Dr. Alejandre Alcázar at +49 221 478-96876.
Further information is available on the internet at
Have we awakened your interest? Please submit your application (including a detailed CV, list of publications, two references and a brief statement of research interests) online.
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail
by 5 August 2018 quoting the reference number e246-1 to
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Jun.-Prof. Dr. Dr. M.A. Alejandre Alcazar