Important information for patients & visitors
Modified visiting rules from 16.07.2021
- Visits are permitted from the 1st day of inpatient treatment with an up-to-date negative coronavirus test (PCR or rapid antigen test from a certified test centre). Rapid antigen tests are valid for 24 hours and PCR tests for 48 hours.
Due to the stable low infection numbers, fully vaccinated visitors or visitors who have fully recovered from COVID-19 may visit inpatients at the University Hospital Cologne until further notice, even without evidence of a current test. However, proof of vaccination or recovered status needs to be proven by a valid certificate. The following are accepted as proof:
- Certificate of vaccination in digital form or as an official original printout (certification of (double) COVID-19 vaccination completed at least 15 days previously; available free of charge from pharmacies)
- Certificate of vaccination for a person who has fully recovered from COVID-19 in digital form or as an official original printout (certification of single vaccination against COVID-19 at least 6 months after recovery from SARS-CoV-2; available free of charge from pharmacies)
- Certificate of recovery (certification of recovery from infection with SARS-CoV-2; available from your Health Authority, family doctor or test centre). Presentation of a positive PCR test result from an accredited laboratory is a possible alternative to a medical certificate. The test result must be dated no less than 28 days previously and no more than 6 months previously.
It should be noted that vaccination status can only be proven by the presentation of the corresponding certificate. In the event of doubt, individual proof of vaccination (for instance, with a vaccination card or certificate) will not be accepted.
- This rule applies to all visitors and also to the parents and siblings of children being treated as inpatients.
- The visiting hours for planned visits are from 15:00 to 19:00 daily.
- Several visitors are permitted within visiting hours, but not at the same time (1 visitor per patient per hour).
- You are required to register by calling +49 221 478-55777 before visiting.
- Call +49 221 478-55777 on your mobile phone
- Obtain a personalised link to a questionnaire free of charge by SMS text
- Complete the questionnaire (it includes questions about the visitor’s contact information, as well as about symptoms and risk factors of a SARS-CoV-2 infection)
- A QR code for the visitor registration is generated from the information collected
- Please note: The caller ID must be switched on in order for this to work correctly.
- Visitors must present the QR code generated after online registration at the registration points – Ward entrance foyer (Building 8), Heart Centre entrance foyer (Building 40), Gynaecology and Obstetrics Hospital entrance area (Building 47), Paediatric Hospital entrance area (Building 26) – together with the current negative coronavirus test result, which represents evidence that the visitor has undergone symptom screening. To the Site Map.
- Visitors will be given a registration band, which changes daily, to signal that they have registered correctly.
- Visitors will not be permitted access to the wards without the correct registration band.
- Please ensure that visits are no longer than 1 hour.
- Please adhere to University Hospital Cologne general hygiene rules throughout the entire campus (see below).
As a visitor, can I also arrange to have a rapid test on site?
In addition to the many certified coronavirus test centres in Cologne and the surrounding area, you also have the option of having a rapid antigen test at the University Hospital Cologne. This test is free to visitors as a “residents’ test”. Testing in the Infection Protection Centre of the University Hospital Cologne (Building 11) is available from Monday to Friday between 11.00 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.
Please note: Free rapid antigen tests are not available outside of these hours at the University Hospital Cologne.