Center for Infectious Diseases
The challenges faced in infectious diseases of our time are manifold. They range from the emergence of new infectious diseases and an increase in multidrug-resistant pathogens, to outbreaks of nosocomial infections and an increasing number of infections in patients with severe immune system impairment.
In order to further strengthen innovative research and the effective prevention, diagnosis and therapy of infectious diseases, the clinics, institutes and other specialized departments of the University Hospital Cologne working in the field of infectious diseases have joined forces in the Center for Infectious Diseases („Centrum für Infektionsmedizin“, CIM).
In the CIM, we focus on the patients. Through the close networking and cooperation of experts from a wide range of disciplines, we pool our expertise in infectious diseases to develop sustainable concepts and strategies in order to respond in a targeted manner to current and future challenges.
The Center for Infectious Diseases...
- ... brings together all clinical departments and institutes involved in the management of patients with infectious diseases, in addition to cutting edge research;
- ... addresses central questions in infectious diseases and provides the necessary special infrastructure;
- ... transfers innovations resulting from research into clinical practice;
- ... ensures a rapid and well-coordinated response to new challenges in infectious diseases;
- ... stands for integrative education and training in infectious diseases.
At the Center for Infectious Diseases we combine optimal patient care with the research and development of innovative prevention approaches and therapies.
Since many years, collaboration across different disciplines is a strength of infectious diseases in Cologne. Synergizing our activities in the CIM will further boost our research aiming for best patient care.
The Center for Infectious Diseases is an important component of our academic practice and complements the research focus of the faculty in an outstanding way.